"By the time sino-Japanese War broke put in August 1894, the extension of the Sanyo Railway to Hiroshima and construction of the Japanese Imperial Military Headquarters, which were moved here in September of the same year. The headquarter were established in a building within the Hiroshima Castle grounds that housed the headquarters og the 5th Army Division. The same building was also designated as the provisional quarter of the Meiji Emperor.
THe Meiji Emperor stayed in Hiroshima more than seve months, from September 15, 1894 to April 27 of the following year. Thereafter the building was preserved as historical monument, but was later destroyed in atomic bombing. Now, the fundation stores are all that remain."